Saturday, June 7, 2008

When your uniqueness is appreciated

Over the last few years I've grown in my appreciation for that marvellous amber liquid that the Belgians call bier (I appreciate that English has a word of the same spelling with a slightly different meaning).

I tend to be not so hot on lagers (bar a few), but pretty content with most ales. Either way, there's no shortage of choice in Belgium; they produce over 500 different standard beers (including their unique lambic).

While I often take my standard straight out of the bottle (not so keen on cans), the Belgians are definitely serious about their beer glasses. So here's the kicker: every standard Belgian beer has its own glass. And its own special method of presentation (the preparation of the glass and the pouring is itself an art).

I think that's amazing. For most of us Aussies, beer glasses are generally either 'middy' or 'schooner', or (perhaps at a stretch) 'pint' or 'stein'. The concept of each beer having its own glass and presentation style seems a little beyond VB.

I guess I should be thankful that my company is based in Belgium - and, yes, there are some prospects of visiting them at some stage. Purely business, of course.

And maybe a glass of red.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ah, Bier!!! Old is good, now go try a Weihenstephaner Hefeweizen Dunkel - it's even better and preservative free (I'm sure God had a han in the Reinheitsgesetz)