Thursday, June 19, 2008

A fantastic piece of [Aussie] plastic

Vegemite. The Victa mower. The Hills Hoist. Classic Australian inventions. Icons.

But does the name 'Dalson' mean anything to you? If not, go to your kitchen (but to work out what you're looking for, you'd better read the post first).

I can't imagine life without my Dalson [copy]. And, no, it's not a brand of vacuum cleaner; that would be these people, and they're English.

1947 was a big year. It saw the birth of this humble government body. More importantly, it saw the birth of the Dalson Aussie vegetable peeler.

This invention rocks. I can't remember when I last used a knife to peel spuds, but it was probably on Outward Bound back in 1991. (In truth, it was probably the first time I'd ever peeled any vegetable in my life.)

What I love about the Aussie spud peeler is how easily it peels spuds and carrots, but not knuckles; blood-free baked potatoes are a family favourite.

The Dalson Classic Peeler. Simple. Impressive. Enduring. Australian. (And possibly the only plastic item still manufactured here.)

No comments: