Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Monuments


Today, my blog is 100 posts old! Yay!

I'm sure someone out there will erect a statue to honour the occasion. Yeah.

As I was driving around the sticks - sorry, central New South Wales - today, I was struck by several monuments honouring past days.

They testify to blood, sweat and tears. To perseverence, to resilience, to adventure.

There's a sense of appreciation, of connection with the past, as you contemplate these monuments. There's a sense of gratitude for those who went before and weathered the storms believing their efforts were not in vain.

This part of the country is rich with such monuments - not just statues and busts and cenotaphs and cairns, but rusty old tractors, lonely stone chimneys, and massive yellow box trees.

There is no present, and no future, without a past. It's sobering and wise to stop, to reflect, and to honour. How grateful I am that these monuments exist.

No comments: